LawyerAk
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
109603637

I am a Japanese national and considering to apply UK spouse

Customer Question

Hi, I am a Japanese national and considering to apply UK spouse visa through EU settlement scheme
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: My husband is Irish
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the family visa?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My husband lives in UK since 2017, I lived in UK from 2016 to 2019 with Tier2 ICT visa. We got married in February 2022.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 20 days ago.
Good evening
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 20 days ago.

I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Good evening, thank you Ak!
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I live in Japan since I moved back from UK in 2019, for your information.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
As the EU settlement scheme seems much easier than normal UK spouse visa scheme, I would like to use the EU settlement scheme if we are eligible
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
One concern is, my husband went back to his parent home during covid-19 and relocate to his brother’s home in UK on paper. He does not have water bill etc in his own name from 2020 to 2022 (before that, he lived in his own and he has water bill etc in his own name). However, we confirmed with the Home office that he does not need get “pre-settlement status” as he is Irish citizen.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
his parent home in Ireland
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 20 days ago.
As you married in February 2022 you should look at the spouse visa route as it was not before 31 December 2020. The eu settlement family permit will only give you 6 months in the U.K.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I see, thank you. What does is mean “ The eu settlement family permit will only give you 6 months in the U.K.”?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
does it* mean
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 20 days ago.
that’s correct the EUSS gives 6 months in the UK.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Sorry1, I am confused. This i the scheme for applying settled status, why would the government only give me a 6 months in the UK?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I read through the guidance on the UK gov website but couldn’t find the relevant section
Expert:  LawyerAk replied 20 days ago.
Settled status will only be granted when you have resided in U.K. for 5 years can. Can you confirm this?