How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1642
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I have a girlfriend in russia, we have met in person twice

Customer Question

Hi, I have a girlfriend in russia, we have met in person twice before. She got a visitor visa to the UK just before the Ukraine invasion and she hasn't been able to visit. Would it be possible to have the visa extended as it will end on July 31
JA: Could you provide me with any other relevant information about the situation surrounding the visa?
Customer: She has had the visa since January but has not been able to travel until now because of the situation
JA: Have you already talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, that is all for now
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

In that case, yes, Your girlfriend may be able to extend her stay as long as the total time she spends in the UK is no more than 6 months. she must meet the eligibility requirements and pay the £1000 fee.

For example, if she has been in the UK for 3 months, she can apply to extend her stay for 3 more months. This applies if she needs a visa to visit the UK and also if she did not need one.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay perfect, so even though she has a 6 month visa that will expire. Because she has not physically been in the UK it could be extended to 9 months? Could that be done whilst she is staying with me?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 14 days ago.

You can extend your stay up to a total of 6 months. You can only apply to stay in the UK for longer than 6 months if you’re:

  • a patient receiving medical treatment
  • an academic and you still meet the eligibility requirements
  • a graduate retaking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or doing a clinical attachment

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.