How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1702
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

My friend is seeking some legal advice, he currently resides

Customer Question

my friend is seeking some legal advice, he currently resides in Cyprus as a university student. He is a Nigerian citizen and hold a Nigerian passport. In 2019 he came to the UK for a short stay but was refused on arrival, the reason for his refusal was because the immigration officer saw a fake old stamp on his old passport, he states he was unaware of the fake stamp for this reason refused entry into the UK. He currently wants to come to the UK to visit, please could you advice me on what he could do to make this possible.Hope to hear from you soon.
JA: What steps has the friend taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does the friend live in? If different, what is his citizenship?
Customer: He is currently studying in Cyprus, he is a Nigerian citizen
JA: Has the friend talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No not as yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Martin
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No sir
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

In that case, your friend has three choices generally in such a situation.

  1. he can reapply with a new application; or
  2. he can go for an appeal against the visa refusal; or
  3. If there is no right of appeal granted the decision can be Judicially Reviewed
Whether one chooses to reapply or appeal, both are time-consuming and take money from your pocket. 

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Furthermore, Re-applying is an easier choice. Your friend can make a fresh application addressing the grounds of refusal with the submission of new evidence and fee. There is no time limit for making a fresh application. So, he/she can reapply any time after his/her UK visa refusal. One must understand the requirements for the particular UK Visa Application correctly and thus they must submit a well-prepared application that can satisfy the Immigration Officer otherwise there is no point in submitting a new application with the same documents.

This will clearly be a waste of time and money. But if his/her visa application was refused on grounds such as insufficient evidence, or absence of proof then he/she should reapply. However, if he/she knows that he/she submitted the required documents such as bank documents as evidence or proof and there is a possibility of mistake or oversight from the Immigration Officer, he/she can approach the Home Office and request a reconsideration of his/her visa application.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you I will send this to him, please await my response he might want to ask somthing else
Thank you
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi, my friend has finally responded, he is asking if there is any other options other than reapply. He was thinking about doing his master In the UK do you thing there is any chance he will be acceptable. His mother resides in the UK also she is fairly sick he did desperate to see her. Hope to hear from you soon
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 18 days ago.

What form of visa or passport does his mother use to remain or reside in UK?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Nigerian passport also
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

You can apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before your course starts.

You must apply before your current visa expires. Your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring.

You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.