How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1665
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

My wife is Swedish, we have been living in Sweden and will

Customer Question

I'm British and my wife is Swedish, we have been living in Sweden and will return to Uk in August to live. We have two children 8 & 10. My wife previously lived in uk for 15 years but doesn't have a uk passport, but we jointly now a house in uk. what type of visa does my wife need to apply for
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: no steps taken yet, no paperwork filled yet. Im British my wife is swedish
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

In that case, your wife may be able to apply for a spouse visa. This visa category is used by married couples who want to live together in the UK when one is a British national and another is from a country outside the European Economic Area (EEA).

This type of UK visa allows the non-EEA spouse to enter the UK as the partner of a British or settled person. It lasts for up 33 months and can be extended and used as a qualifying time for permanent settled status. You need to meet certain requirements to be eligible for a Spouse Visa for the UK. These include passing the ‘genuine relationship test’ and meeting financial requirements.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
my wife is Swedish so from within EEA
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Your partner can apply for a family visa to come and live with you if they’re either:

  • your husband, wife, civil partner, proposed civil partner or fiancé(e)

  • your partner who you’ve lived with for at least 2 years

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

They can only apply for a family visa if you have one of the following:

  • British citizenship

  • Irish citizenship - you must be living or have lived in the UK

  • indefinite leave to remain or right of abode

  • refugee status or humanitarian protection

  • settled status from the EU Settlement Scheme

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.