MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I want to get married with my boyfriend even we have already

Customer Question

Hi I want to get married with my boyfriend even we have already date for ceremony but he don't have immigration status
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: My boyfriend ni have nothing only valid passport No*
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing else just that im from Slovakia i have everything but he don't have nothing only valid passport that's all
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

In that case, I advise you to check your boyfriend's Immigration status using this website. Immigration status.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

May I ask what nationality your boyfriend is and what type of passport he holds?

You must apply for a visa to get married or form a civil partnership in the UK if you:

• are not a British or Irish citizen
  • do not have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
  • do not have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • did not apply to the EU Settlement Scheme on or before 30 June 2021

The visa or permit you need depends on where your partner is from and whether you want to live in the UK after your ceremony.

You can apply for:

• a marriage visitor visa - if you’re not going to live in the UK and will stay less than 6 months
  • a family visa - to live permanently in the UK if your partner is a British citizen, settled in the UK, has refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • a family permit - to join your family member from the EU, EEA or Switzerland in the UK

You can still give notice of your intention to get married or form a civil partnership but the immigration authorities at the Home Office will be told.

The Home Office might:

• ask questions about you and your relationship - if this happens you may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married or forming a civil partnership
  • decide not to approve your notice - if this happens you cannot get married or form a civil partnership in the UK

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.