MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

My 5 year old daughter has dual British and German

Customer Question

Hi, my 5 year old daughter has dual British and German nationality and papers from both. Her British passport expires shortly and we can’t get an appointment to renew it. Her German passport is still valid. Can we travel on our holiday to Portugal this summer using her valid German passport and re-enter the U.K. on our return. Thanks!
JA: What steps has she taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does she live in? If different, what is her citizenship?
Customer: She is a British citizen,and lives in the U.K.
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Generally yes, she can use her German passport to visit the UK provided they have the necessary travel documents. Germans can stay in the UK for up to 6 months with their passport. An ETA visa waiver may soon be required. Also, a visa is required to stay in the United Kingdom for more than 180 days.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Martin
She’s not visiting the U.K., she is returning to the U.K. where she lives, after visiting Portugal. My question is whether she can enter on her German passport, as her U.K. one has expired. Thanks, Alex

Yes indeed, Under EU rules, all travellers (including infants) need a valid ID card or passport to travel. If she has settled status or pre-settled status, she is generally still able to enter the country using her national ID card. To provide extra proof of her status at border control, her national ID card should be linked to her immigration status online.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.