How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4689
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

We are trying to get a visa for the UK for myself. I'm a

Customer Question

Hello, we are trying to get a visa for the UK for myself. I'm a German citizen and try to come to the UK with my two kids (both UK citizens), but my husband (UK citizen) will remain in the USA for now.
JA: Just to clarify, which visa specifically are you asking about?
Customer: Either a family visa or freelance visa or any other I could qualify for.
JA: Have you already talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No we have not
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We do have family in the UK, if that is helpful. Both kids are UK citizens and are not 18 years yet.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We know the "freelance/small business" visa with sufficient funds was discontinued. If there is a similar other option?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. What were you looking to come to the UK to do?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Long term we would all like to settle in the UK. The main reason right now is to move the kids to the UK school system and be able to spend time with their elderly grandparents. My family is in Germany, which would be closer for us too. I'm a freelancer here in the US (Photography, Design & Education) and would like to continue working in the UK. My husband would remain working here but look for a transfer to the US in the near future.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Kindly give me a minute to review what you have written and provide a written response to it.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for the additional information. To travel and live legally in the UK for work purposes you would have to apply for a skilled worker visa. For you to qualify for this visa, you would  have to find work in the UK and for that employer to sponsor this visa.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

The only other alternative is to apply as a parent of a British child. This visa would allow you to enter the UK for the purposes of taking care of a British child. After being on this permit for 5 years you may apply for your permanent residency. However, the only issue with this visa is that you and the father of the children cannot still be in a relationship at the time of applying.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Save the above, I cannot think of another option for you.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you.
1. The skilled worker visa, employer sponsorship, how complicated is that a process for the employer? We have family with a business which could potentially create a job.
2. Do the children need to reside in the UK for this application?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Are there any loopholes or special considerations ?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

It is not very complicated. They would have to apply to be authorised to employ an overseas worker. They would then need to offer you a job that is listed on the occupational shortage list. The job however cannot be based on the fact of you being a family member. I will send you a link down below with respect to the skilled worker visa, you may read through it to familiarise yourself with the eligibility requirements.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

With respect to the parent of a British child visa the children would need to be in the UK to apply. Here is the relevant information regarding this particular permit.