MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

How much? Yes, No, I will explain to them

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: How much?
JA: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: Yes
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I will explain to them
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Perfect, basically my case is immigration.
I had an asylum case going since 2018, u have done my bio and my long interview was split in two because we couldn't finish in one day. Then Covid 19 came and my second interview was postponed. Meanwhile some of my circumstances was changed so I have applied for private life and family Visa on my own online. I was granted the Visa as a partner in 10 years route.
Then I got mail from the Home office asking me if I still wish to continue my Asylum which I said yes. And now they arranged an interview fory asylum case in two weeks.
My questions are:
1. Am I breaking the law by having asylum while I already got visa.
2. What will be the outcome if my asylum case is successful or unsuccessful and how that would effect my current Visa.
Thank you very much

1. You are not breaking the law. If you are living in the UK and you become eligible to seek asylum, you should contact the asylum intake unit to schedule a screening interview with an immigration official.

This process will register your asylum claim and following this, your case will be taken under review by the Home Office. If successful, you will be invited to an asylum substantive interview.

2.  This will not affect your current visa. Actually, once you’ve got refugee status, you’ll get permission to work in the UK - in any profession and at any skill level. If you’re not ready or able to look for work and have very little or no income, you can apply for benefits instead.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. Just to correct one thing.
I am already working and my Visa allowing me to work for 2.5 years renewable.
And also I am invited to the substantive interview.
So if I will be granted the refugee status, would that remove my current private family visa and I become a refugee instead? Or will I move from 10 years route to 5?

Yes, your visa will change especially since you're applying for asylum. Once you're granted, this will be your immigration status.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.