Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

Still a British citizen, was born in nigeria, but my British

I'm I still a British citizen, was born in nigeria, but my British passport was issued in 1962
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in nigeria, and I have both British citizenship/ passport and nigerian citizenship
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The British passport has subsequently expired and I've not renewed it

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today. Please note, Just Answer is an information sharing platform in a Q/A format and does not provide legal representation in any form and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Please further note , I am a third party professional and have no control over any payment /refunds /cancellations issues.

You can contact Just Answer`s Customers team for any admin issues , by clicking the below weblink-

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/help/contact-us or via phone call - 0808(###) ###-####/p>

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Hi there,

What is your specific question please?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was issued with a British passport subsequent to my registration as a British citizen in 1962.
I have not renewed my British passport which has subsequently expired.
I live in nigeria and was born in nigeria.
I'm a still a British citizen fir the purpose of the current British nationality act.

I will be with you shortly.

Hi there,

After  British Nationality Act 1981 came into effect in 1981, Right of abode no longer be acquired by non-British citizens That cat also states that any British citizen who acquire any other nationality would not be able to continue with the British nationality .

So, above act changed the right to abode for most of the common wealth citizens or citizens of previous British colonies to be able to enter and live in the UK, were classified as British subjects rather than citizens.

So, unfortunately you would not be able to do anything about the British citizenship that you had in sixties.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.