AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

Is anyone there? well I’ll tell you I’m married to someone

Customer Question

Hello is anyone there ?
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: well I’ll tell you I’m married to someone since may 24 last year we applied to a spouse visa , I’m from Honduras and he’s British now after 15 months waiting for the visa because is delayed he’s asking for the divorce because he’s tired to support me , he abuse me mentally, and he doesn’t give me more money to buy food, he has a house but he says he want me to leave to Spain because I’m a gay refugee in Spain , but I don’t have any place to go , I don’t have money and no one, I’m literally in the street. My question is , is he want to divorce and I don’t have my visa yet, may I have any chance fot
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Not
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My question is if I have any chance to asking for support from him or he doesn’t leave me in the street and support or what happens with my visa
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 6 days ago.

Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I already explain everything, but basically I need to now if my husband want to divorce to me , I have any chance to Not go to the street considering I’m refugee in Spain and I don’t have visa here because I’m waiting for that, considering I’m suffer mental abuse, and I have no job and any support.

Can you tell me your current immigration status?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m came to uk in December 2020 without visa because Hondurian doesn’t need visa , after 6 months here we asked to home office if we could married and they say yes , after that in may 2021 we applied to a spouse visa and I’m still waiting for the visa after 15 months

Unfortunately, if your husband does divorce you, then it will disqualify you for a spouse visa.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I know that , my question is if he divorce to me there is any chance to stay in the house o receive something like a compensation or things like that because I don’t have any place to move or live

Have you contributed to the house financially?

Like paying for maintenance or helping with the mortgage?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No at all

Is your name on the deed of the house?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, he had the house before we married , I didn’t pay for the mortgage just fixed and repair and remodelling the house

So you have given money for remodeling the house?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No like I said I’m no paying nothing AT ALL, just remodelling the rooms but he paid for the materials

You just told me that you paid for the remodeling of the rooms? it does not matter if he paid for the materials.

By remodeling, do you mean the interior design?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I just did by my own , buildings the wardrobe, painting the house cleaning some rooms , do it the the garden every 2 weeks

And for now, has your husband initiated the divorce?

If your husband has not initiated the divorce proceeding, I would advise you to register your "matrimonial home rights"  with the Land Registry.

Matrimonial Home Rights aim to protect the party who does not have a legal ownership in the property, against eviction, during a divorce or breakdown of relationship. It is important that a party who has matrimonial rights registers them if faced with this situation, to allow them to continue residing in the property.

If you register this, it will entitle you to stay in the house even after divorce.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
HOw I can register that ? But he needs to know ?

You can register it without your husband's consent.

It would be up to you if you would want to inform him.

You must first know if the property is registered in the Land Registry.

The Land Registry contains the details on whether a property is registered or unregistered.

If the property is registered, then a HR1 form (application for registration of a notice for home rights) will need to be completed.

If the property is unregistered, then a K2 form (application for registration of a Class F Land Charge) will need to be completed.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
what happens if I registered and he want to divorced to me as well ?
If you have registered, and the divorced pushed through, you would still be entitled to stay in the house and he wont be able to just kick you out.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I already registered with the council tax it’s the same ?

No, it is not the same. Only the registry with the Land Register will matter. As this will be attached to the Deed of the property.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Oh ok but I need to know if him will be advised ?because if he does know or entered he’ll be crazy because at this momment I’m feel scared he has threatened me so i what to me make sure him doesn’t have receive any advice
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 5 days ago.
I understand it is stressful. Would you like details on how to locate a local solicitor who can accept formal instructions to act?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sure it’s m22 1wb
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
At this moment I don’t know what I can do and feel alone and without hope if you have an idea I can do anything he told me today tomorrow he’ll speak a solicittors he has money and I don’t have money even to buy food , I’m sorry y crying and feeling sad

I understand. I am sorry to hear about your experience. It must be difficult to deal with the current circumstances.

You only need to register your home rights, so you're still entitled to live in the house. Once registered, he cannot force you to leave until there's an occupation order from the court. As for your spouse visa application, you don't have to worry. You need to inform the home office regarding the relationship breakdown. However, it is not recommended at the moment since your spouse visa application is still pending.

If you want to locate a local solicitor who can accept formal instructions to act, you can find one at the following link: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk

In the website above, there is a drop-down menu for "Your Legal Issue". You can also input your postcode, town, or city, so you can locate a solicitor near your area.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks so much, just I have another question if he divorce to me , I may claim money from him like a pension for basic spends like food?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Considering I’m not working

Yes, you may claim for spousal support and this will last even after divorce.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
How can I do that?

That would be granted to you by the Court during the divorce proceedings.

Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 4 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I just have proof he’s cheating on me on gays app so you think it’s helps me?

Yes indeed. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have proof that my husband is cheating on me , this is will help me?

Yes, you can show proof that he is cheating on you during the divorce proceedings. The Court will most likely grant you what it is you are claiming.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I’ll wait today because he is going to a lawyer and I’ll do the form, to register it to the house and I’ll and what is going to happens to me after he divorce to me ? I mean with my migratory situation? I don’t have visa yet , the home office will request me to leave the country or I can claim another time of visa ?

You could proceed with your own visa application.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello good morning, he’s starting the divorce process , what’s the best things i can do? And if the divorce processes could be cancelled?
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 3 days ago.

Then the best thing to do will be for you to hire your own solicitor to help you with your own claims.

To find a local solicitor, you can visit the website: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk

You can use their search function to find one near your locality.