How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2039
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

Currently I live in the UK I have got settled status last

Customer Question

Currently I live in the UK I have got settled status last September and I will apply for the British citizenship after completing 1yr.I wanted to know if is that possible as a British citizen to grant any sort of sponsorship to my 5yr old son the was born and lives in Brazil?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

I just want to clarify. By sponsorship, did you mean visa sponsorship? If so, yes you may sponsor his visa application so he can join you in the UK. 

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
WHi Martin,Thanks for your response.
What sort of visa he is able to apply for? Can you please provide details in regards ***** ***** process and how to apply for my son's visa?If the application is successful will he be eligible to live, work and study in the UK, will my son hold the same rights as a British resident?Also, the application can be made with he living overseas or he myust me here? I am a bit confused.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 4 days ago.

In this situation, the visa your son applies for depends on your situation. He can work or study if his application is successful.

Your son may be able to apply for a family visa if you are:

  • a British citizen

  • settled in the UK (called having ‘indefinite leave to remain’)

  • has settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

  • has a Turkish worker or businessperson visa

or: -

Your son may be able to apply to the free EU Settlement Scheme instead of applying for a visa. You must:

  • be a citizen of an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein (or a British citizen who lived with you in one of these countries)

  • have been living in the UK by 31 December 2020

  • have settled or pre-settled status