Immigration Warrior
Immigration Warrior, Lawyer
Experience:  Solicitor
106663647

I am a British citizen my wife is Russian. We want to apply

Customer Question

I am a British citizen my wife is Russian. We want to apply for a family visa for her to stay in the UK with me as my wife (of 6 years). She also has a daughter (Russian) from a previous marriage, and we would like her to join us too. How can we facilitate this?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Immigration Warrior replied 7 days ago.

Further to your question, I am an immigration solicitor and will be assisting you with your question today

Customer: replied 7 days ago.

Kindly note that you can invite them both to the UK,, your wife as your spouse and her daughter as your dependent.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
As MY dependent?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
is it possible to apply for this family visa with them in the UK on a short-term visitor visa? Or must it be done from abroad?

Your wife however will either need to have a court document to state that she either has sole responsibility or the father will need to provide a letter to confirm that he has no objection in her leaving the country

Kindly note that she will be your dependent as you will be sponsoring her.

Kindly note that you cannot switch from a visitor visa into a family visa from within the UK

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I see OK.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Our issue right now is that my wife and daughter are not in Russia. They fled at the start of the war and we don't want them to have to return.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm a bit confused...as herehttps://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visait mentions about applying from within the UK

You can only apply from within the UK if you already have a valid visa such as an existing visa, such as a spouse, study or work.

If they cannot go back and apply due to the War then an application can be made within the UK however it will need to be argued, of why they cannot go back and apply

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I see. And would grounds such as...her and my wife being my dependents be enough? As I am a British citizen who is being told by FCDO not to go to Russia?

That is not enough, you would need to argue either she cannot get a flight back, scared for her wellbeing ect.

I would strongly suggest that you instruct a solicitor to assist you inorder for you to obtain a successful application

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
scared for her wellbeing, for sure.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
For all of them
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I also have a son with my wife who is entitled to a British passport and we are trying to arrange that now.

In that case, please do include everything as part of the application process

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
my son, who is entitled to the British passport (just to clarify)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK

All the best and many thanks for visiting the JustAnswer website.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
if I sponsor my wife's daughter too, she would be able to attend a normal state school, right? Because it's a family visa not a child study visa

That is correct it would be a family visa

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok, thank you

Take care