How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12199
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I have met a Ukraine girl online and have been talking to

Customer Question

I have met a Ukraine girl online and have been talking to her for months via different apps as the site I met her on had very tight restrictions and I had to spend a fair amount of money too get her contact details and now we are chatting via messenger. She wants to come to the Uk to live with me and as I don't have a spare room I can't use the sponsorship route is there anyway around this under the current rules and we haven't discussed marriage as that hasn't come up, I am happy to help her but meet none of the criteria as stated on your previous post, I don't have savings and am self employed and not earning loads but she would live with me and try and do her work and i would support her financially from my income
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I live in the uk and am a uk citizen as born here
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: and no paperwork done as unsure what to do and no I haven't spoken to anyone as didn't know that it was going to be so difficult
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I can think of at the moment
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.

No the only relationship visa route would be a spouse visa which would require you to be engaged and that you can show you will marry within 6 months of her arrival. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That is a pain as I am not keen to go down that route as it means nothing in the longer term, stupid UK law thinking that marriage means more than a commitment to someone, is there any other way around this can I try and sponsor her and then when they do the inspection explain the situation to them because it's only the spare room I lack to qualify for sponsoring her, as she would be sleeping in my bed with me, so spare room is irrelevant
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.

No you cannot sponsor her I am afraid. You do not qualify under the Homes for Ukrainians scheme because she would not have her own room and you can understand the reason why that rule is there to stop the exploitation of people of fleeing war desperate people, to say well you can have a roof but sleep with me. I am not saying that is the case here but that is why the whole room point is point so there can be no exceptions. And as I said your only alternative is to think about spouse visa. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I understand I am going to ask a family member who has all the means to sponsor her and then she can live with me
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.

Ok, take care