How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 6399
Experience:  Director at No.53 Legal Limited
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

Is it possible to get visa on my own basis in uk

This answer was rated:

Hi I am Clarissa is it possible to get visa on my own basis in uk

Hello Clarissa, how are you today? 

I am going to see if I can assist with your query. I may need to ask you additional questions and it is important for you to answer all the questions clearly, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response for your specific legal situation. JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Please confirm that you have read and understood this message and then we can begin.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi I m here in eu settlement haven’t yet divorce but we r living separately n still do have my visa but I want to knw if I can get visa on my own bases

How long is your visa for?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
5 year till 2025
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I came uk September 2020

Yesterday I asked if you were on a spousal visa - you said yes.

If you're here on the EU settlement scheme, then your right to remain is dependent on the person who brought you here.  And to be able to stay once that sponsorship is gone, you would have needed to be eligible to retain a right of residency.  On the basis of the information you have given me you may be eligible but you will need to review the information below and at the link to determine if you are.

In terms of a divorce or relationship breakdown, those who were in the relationship and their family members can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme so long as one of the following applies:

  • the marriage or civil partnership lasted for at least 3 years and the couple had both been living in the UK for at least one year during that time


  • you have custody of the EU, EEA or Swiss citizen’s child


  • you have been given right of access in the UK to the EU, EEA or Swiss citizen’s child and the child is under 18


  • you or another family member was the victim of domestic violence or abuse in the marriage or civil partnership

The right to reside is a complicated area of law, so you may wish to instruct a lawyer to act on your behalf to help you make the application.

You can find out more about how to apply and if you are eligible here:

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Our marriage will b 3 years this December but v stayed together for 2 year

You may not be eligible then - but do check the link above, and contact a solicitor if you need assistance with applying.  You also have to apply from outside of the UK.

You can find one here:

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

You're welcome, glad to assist.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FOR SASH_Law ONLY in the subject heading of a new thread. Alternatively, once you have rated this question, you will get the option to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. Then, when you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law.

Please note that there is no need to respond to this message.

Thanks for using JA! All the best!

SASH_Law and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you