Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

My husband overstayed his student visa in 2012 and left in

Customer Question

hi my husband overstayed his student visa in 2012 and left in 2014. he then came through a spouse visa set m 5-year route in 2017 last week got his ILR 5-year route. I wanted to know when he could apply for naturulisation?
JA: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country does he live in? If different, what is his citizenship?
Customer: he has not applied for naturalization yet as were unsure.
JA: Has he talked to a lawyer about the student visa?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 8 days ago.

Good afternoon, welcome to just answer. I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you

My name is ***** ***** law expert with over 15years practice. Thank you for the enquiry.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok

Before I can provide you advice on your question, there are a few things to note: I will endeavour to respond to your enquiry very quickly, but if you do not receive my response immediately, do not worry I will not have forgotten, I would either be reviewing your question fully or it could be a technical delay on my end. Please know that I will be with you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no problem

I hear what you're saying. It's totally natural that you would feel this way. Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
there are other questions to ask but i think this one is the most important one

Got it! I believe have everything i need, I’ll be with you as soon as possible. It won’t be terribly long!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok thank you
If you are British citizen then anytime now. if you aren’t British then after 12 months from when he got the ILR

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message, I am always glad to clarify and to assist further if needed. I am Solicitor4All and you can save me on your favourites for quick connection

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But would his immigration history not affect his naturalisation?

He has been accepted for other visas with that history so it should not. He must declare it and always put in a statement showing remorse.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But another solicitor on this site has said wait for 10 years so I'm in 2 minds to what to do
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
how would I answer these questions please

I can’t comment on what another solicitor said, I don’t know why he thinks 10 years will do anything, immigration history will be there forever and they will check that. The form asks for last 10 years activity buy they have access to the whole history

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I understand that it will be there forever but why in the good character guide it states overstaying will be a grounds for refusal

It would have been grounds for refusing ILR but he got it. They exercise discretion considering each application on its own merit. I can only advise from my 15 years experience but you are not bound by my guidance

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry if I sound like a pain it's just such a daunting process to go through and I appreciate your advice.

I totally understand.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
For the second 2 questions should I write yes and explain in a cover letter everything please

Yes to second last question and explain in the additional information section. The last question day No

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The same questions were on Ilr and I answered no would it affect the naturalisation
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Sorry I answered no to all the 3 questions

That could cause you a problem because they can say in the past you hsve declared No which could be taken as deceptive, but whether you apply now or after 10 years that could be questioned. You may therefore have to say no to all and hope it’s not flagged like it didn’t for ILr.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
For this question should we mention the student visa he was on please. I'm sure on the ILR application form we mentioned his over staying

This wi be all the visas he has applied for. Sorry for the delay I have gone offline for the day but just noticed the notification for your enquiry

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank your for your time and support and once again sorry if I was rude in anyway.

You are welcome. You were not, don't worry, the process can be frustrating, so I totally understand. All the best.