UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I want to apply for a British Citizenship. It is required

Hi, I want to apply for a British Citizenship. It is required that for the past year I haven’t been out of the country for more than 90 days. I have been out last year for almost 5 months from Nov to March but I kept my job here, my address and continued to pay taxes so I have no gap in taxes. Because of the pandemic I was able to work from home so I went back to my home country for 5 months but still having my job here. Can I still apply of they will turn down my application? Thank you.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I haven’t filled anything yet, I am Romanian. I live in the UK
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?
Customer: No, you are the first lawyer
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

I am a solicitor. What are your total absences in the past 5 years?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, I’ve just calculated, in the past 5 years I’ve been out of UK a total of 228 days
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have no gap in my tax for the past 6 years
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
But in the last year I’ve been out of the country 147 days…but still no gap in my tax because I’ve been in the same job for the past 3 years
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
For the period 29 0ct 2021- 9 Mar 2022 I was back in Romania because I had some family problems, I’ve lost my grandma who raised me to covid and I had to deal with some things but still kept my job in UK, my address and still paid taxes for those months

Thank you. I would recommend that you go ahead and apply for naturalisation as it is likely that the Home Office will exercise discretion in your favour as they have the discretion to do so and you have not exceeded more than 480 days in the past 5 years.

All the best

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much for your response. When I have to fill the dates of my flights when I went out of the UK and the reasons shall I also add an explanation for the period of 29 Oct 2021 - 9 Mar 2022 as it says for the past year I shouldn’t have been out of the country more than 90 days I think and I’ve been out 147 as I also had a 2 weeks holiday outside UK from 23 Mai- 7 June as I had to go back to my home country and renew my passport that was expiring…So for the past year a total of 147 I’ve been out of the UK instead of 90 I think that they require. What is the best to tell them to explain my situation? Thanks a lot for your help.

You may explain why you were out of the country for the 147 days during that period but the Home Office normally exercises discretion in such cases.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much for your response. I will give it a try and hopefully I will be successful. If they decline my application do you know after how long I can apply again?

You may apply immediately again, there is no waiting period, but as long as you feel you are in compliance with all the requirements.

All the best

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you very much, you’ve been very helpful. Have a lovely day.

You are welcome. I am glad to have been of help.