How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerAk Your Own Question
LawyerAk, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3246
Experience:  Expert in Immigration and family law
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
LawyerAk is online now

I am a Nigerian citizen applying for a student visa for

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a Nigerian citizen applying for a student visa for masters program in the UK. I am sponsored by my dad and funds are in his account. However I have a toddler son that I intend to travel with as my dependent can my father be his sponsor as well?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: My husband couldn’t secure a release for spousal study leave by his employer to also join as partner dependent. Can he apply for a tourist visa?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the student visa?
Customer: I am a Nigerian and live in Nigeria
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I haven’t spoken to a lawyer as most of those I contacted are not immigration lawyersCustomer: Chat is completed

morning I am Lawyer Ak and I will be assisting you today.

As your child is your dependent you need to be able to show you can maintain him whilst in the U.K. For a tourist visa your husband would only be able to get 6 months in the U.K. and cannot live here permanently.

I hope this answers your question and please do let me know if you require further clarification.

LawyerAk and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Good morning Lawyer AK.
I am aware that I need to show I can maintain him in the UK but I would like to know if the funds must be in my account or can it be in my sponsors account as he gave me authorisation letter that I and my son can use his funds. The sponsor is my child’s grandfather and my father.
In the visa application they ask a question of parental responsibility and legal guardian.
I entered my name and my husband as parents. Do I need to enter our sponsor’s details also as someone who will be paying towards his maintenance while in the UK even though he is not his legal guardian?
Or do I show funds in my husbands account (my sons fathers) account as his sponsor?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I would like to cancel the call request please
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I still haven’t received any call yet
The funds should be in your account however your sponsor would need to send their bank statements and supporting letter to show where the funds came from.  Your sponsor would not have parental responsibility over the child so you would not enter his  name.