MrC
MrC, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Lawyer at LegalX
105439980

Anybody there? Joseph from Holland here, I got scammed in

hello, anybody there?
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Good afternoon. Joseph from Holland here
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: I got scammed in 2015. For about 70.000 euros
JA: Oh, dear. I'm sure the Fraud Examiner can help you. Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: I wanted to give a broad outline of the case and see what can be done or if the case is more or less hopeless.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

Can you please confirm where you are based and where the scam took place.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Nicola, Of course I understand that. And since the case dates back to 2015 there is not a major hurry. So, please take the time you need. Regards, Joseph

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jim, I am available most of the day via internet. I live in Holland, also at the time of the scam. The scammers used "agents" with bank accounts in England, but it seems their main basis was Ghana.

Thanks, ***** ***** bank refused to help? Normally they can charge-back the monies if they are signed up to the consumer voluntary code

The issue is that the scam took place in Holland - I am unfamiliar with the laws there - there may be another expert on this site who could advise you and I will therefore opt out to let someone else with the required knowledge to help you with this. Please do not reply to this message as the question will stay with me and there will be a delay.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.co.uk.
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about the Netherlands, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that we are not able to answer on this occasion. Because this is the case, we can offer a full refund.
Please confirm if you'd like me to process this for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I would say it is not about a legal question in The Netherlands / Dutch law. There were people in England who participated in all this. And one was apprehended in England and convicted under English law to 1,5 years in prison already because I contacted the English police. So I would say English law is applicable…
We might be able to find the owners of the other accounts too and claim the scammed money. But then these people are very likely Ghanese living in England on social security, earning a little extra as money mules.
Then a judge sentences them to pay back my money. In in the Dutch situation this person would then say: I am on social security, that is the existential minimum which you can not take away from me.
So you have a valid claim that can never be executed. And I strongly suspect that the situation in England will not be much different.
So I end up with a bill for a lawyer and a worthless claim.
That is basically for now my question. If I proceed, is this the very likely outcome of my actions?
Or is there a reasonable chance to get back some of my money?
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you, however please be aware that a previous Expert has advised that you would need someone versed in Dutch law.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed lawyer from the UK.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Mr. Cornel. Well, I guess you read the previous correspondence. So the question is quite simple, Is there a reasonable chance to obtain some success in this matter or will it likely only amount to spending money on a lawyer without achieving anything.

Yes, correct, please give me some time to analyze your circumstances and I will get back to you with an answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No problem! Have a nice day!

I do agree with your point that based on your circumstances, English Law and English jurisdiction are relevant to your case.

Subsequently, regarding your primary inquiry about the execution of the judgment that was pronounced against the defender, there would be legal methods and alternatives to enforce the judgment in the UK.

A question that has to be addressed is regarding the limitation period, when was the judgment pronounced, as you should be wary to not be out of time to execute and enforce the judgement.

Lastly, a private investigation and discovery of assets can also be performed on the defendant in order to assets if your case has a genuine chance of succeeding.

In case of need, the law firm that I am part of, can further investigate your case and provide an in-depth legal advice and determine your chances of recovery.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mr. Conner, perhaps you are mixing up two things.
One of these so called agents was convicted to 1,5 years of prison. And paying me 100 pounds as repair. Which he never did.
The trial took place around June 2017 in London (I have to see if I can still find the exact date…).
He was not sentenced to pay back the thousands of euros scammed via his bank account.
The other people involved behind other English bank accounts were as far as I know never identified or persecuted. I do not know why the police did not go after them.
So one was convicted, the others not at all.Basically it seems we have to start some new civil procedure to get back my money from 3 or 4 persons, of which one is already known by name.
Likely all Ghanese people on social security who will not be able to pay back anything.
Likely, just as in Holland, social security is more or less protected against confiscation, so there is nothing to gain then for me.
And that is basically the question. How much sense does it make to continue this? Even if I can get back 1.000 euros and have to pay 2.000 for a lawyer it does not make sense, does it?

Given the high value of your case, as you have stated previously that the defendants have stolen 70.000 euros, there is a valid claim to pursue.

What is also rather shocking and unusual is the fact that you haven't been ordered restitution, basically a court order that demands that the defendants(s) pay all the sums back.

You were only given 100 pounds as repair?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was invited to attend the court meeting. But at the airport I was sent to the wrong line and by the time I found out it was two minutes after check in time, so I did not made it.
Afterwards I was informed by the police officer that took care of my case that the defendant had been sentenced to 1,5 years imprisonment and to pay back 100 euros.
That is all I know. And that he never payed back anything at all of course.
Perhaps the Prosecutor asked for more, but the Judge only granted 100 euros? I cannot tell you.Please note, the whole scam amounted to about 70.000 euros. Together these three of four so called agents in England scammed about 50.000 euros. And, if memory serves me well, the one that got sentenced about 15.000 euros.
Of course I have all the documentation and if need be I can provide all the details. But for now I am just reproducing the case from memory.

Granting 100 euros or pounds for such a case is ridiculous.

Generally, in accordance with the law, complete restitution is granted, meaning the defendant is obliged to pay all the sums they have stole.

This is how we can proceed, there is a procedure on Just Answer to obtain my business email, it only costs 3-4 euros and you will send me all the documents and court orders in regards ***** ***** case in order to assess the best course of action.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I fully agree,100 euros seems quite ridiculous.
OK, well, it seems from what we know now that it is at least worth while to take a closer look at the matter.
Can you tell me how to obtain your email from JustAnswer?

Sure, you should see a blue box with a proposal to obtain my business email directly.

It only works on PC/Tablet/Mac/laptop and I don't think it works on mobile.

MrC, Lawyer
Experience: Senior Lawyer at LegalX
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it seems it worked.... I will contact you from my private email.

Yes, thank you.

We'll discuss via email directly from now on.