How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: International Law
Satisfied Customers: 2493
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your International Law Question Here...
John is online now

I have a debt outstanding in Dubai which was back in 2015. I

Customer Question

I have a debt outstanding in Dubai which was back in 2015. I am now being contacted by a UK law firm demanding I pay the money back. Is this legal?
Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Kent
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: International Law
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am a qualified solicitor happy to assist you today.

Please note this is not a chat service, so there may be delays in responding.

I am just reviewing your question and will provide a response shortly.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the statute of limitations for recovery of a debt is 6 years so it is still legal that they can pursue you. Does this answer your question? If so, kindly leaving a rating, thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even if I am not a resident on the UAE anymore?
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

This is correct. Especially with the contact being from a UK firm, they will be issuing in this jurisdiction against you the individual. I hope this assists.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are a litigation firm. I don’t have the money to pay back the debt. I’m not sure what to do now
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

You will have to speak with them to sort it out, or if you feel you do not owe debt, instruct solicitors to defend you. Failure to take action means if they issue they can enter judgement against you. I trust this assists. Please leave a rating and best of luck, John

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will speak with a lawyer. I just wanted clarification that a bank in the uae has the right to chase a debt in a completely different jurisdiction.
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is possible to chase a debt in many different countries. The most difficult part is locating the individual, but if that is done, they can easily instruct a local firm to issue proceedings. I wish you well. Please return to the site if you have any more questions, and I would be grateful if you could take a moment to provide a positive rating, thank you.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

​Hello please leave a positive rating when you get a moment. I would appreciate it; thank you.

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Please provide a rating so I can close the thread. Thanks

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

Hi are you still there?