Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

In today's climate looking to cut costs and one way is to

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: in today's climate looking to cut costs and one way is to erect an office building in my garden, to be used purely as an office. this being the case :
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: 1) Could I take on a personnel Loan and charge back to my company a Monthly re-payment to cover the cost.
2) Then when company funds allow I will pay-off the Loan and make a payment to my-self to allow the loan to be settled.
3) Can I charge or recover the cost of electric etc. once I have the office set-up.
Please help jonathan
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: peterlee, Co Durham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do not think so
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I have not filed anything: just considering options at the moment

Hi thank you for your message, 1) the loan would need to be taken out in the name of the company unless the way you structured it was to take out the loan in a personal name and then lent it to the company as a directors loan and then the company used that money from the company bank account to pay for the office building. 2) Yes that would be ok on the basis of 1 above though you should double check with an accountant to be sure. 3) Yes you are allowed to charge home office costs to your business: https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed/office-property

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.