UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

Barclay reduced my credit by almost 8000 with little notice

Barclay reduced my credit by almost 8000 with little notice and 3 months on still no valid reason. I have spent countless hours trying to get help and clarity and still nothing. I’ve send hundreds of texts and 7 formal complaints and every time it’s a generic response. I’ve asked for a FOI and still nothing two months on. Is this legal?
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: 10th July, glasgow Scotland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes I’ve had complaint references and still nothing. No adequate reason and no one will give me any answers.
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I’ve been with them since 2016 and I’ve never missed a payment. Maybe one two years ago when I accidentally cancelled the DD. I’ve spent over £20000 with them: I’ve had no credit reference changes and my credit rating has increased as has my salary. I’ve always paid off my balances. They can provide me with a reason or won’t. Is this legal? They also only gave me 3 days notice. And they have since the first decision lowered it again and also lowered the cash withdrawal. Again based on i evidence they will provide me. Also they so far have failed to provide me with any FOI requests that were asked for weeks ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can. I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Hello, thanks for your message.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are facing with Barclays. If you have already made complaints with no resolution then you need to escalate the matter to the financial ombudsman to review. They can be located here https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/ The Financial Ombudsman Service is a free and easy to use service that settles complaints between consumers and businesses that provide financial services. They resolve disputes fairly and impartially, and have the power to put things right.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I did contact the ombudsman and I’ve had nothing. I want to seek a claim independently.

It is unusual to hear nothing from the ombudsman and I would suggest chasing them for a response. If you wish to seek a claim against them you need to take court action.

What you need to do is write them a formal “Letter Before Action”. In this letter you will need to state the amount you are seeking to recover and the reasons why. You will also need to give them a deadline to raise the payment by, usually it is 30 days in which to receive payment.

If payment is not received, then you will need to issue a claim against them here https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/civil-online-gateway/welcome2 Alternatively, you can download and complete the Claim Form (Form 3A). You should then print it and either post it or take it to the sheriff court that should deal with your claim.

You will need to pay a fee to the court when submitting your claim form. You may be entitled to fee exemption, for example, if you receive certain state benefits. Alternatively, please instruct a solicitor to assist and act on your behalf.