Vineet S
Vineet S, Solicitor
Experience:  Practicing Solicitor
60556257

I am due to be made redundant on the 27th November, can i

Customer Question

Hi, I am due to be made redundant on the 27th November, can i ask my employers to: a) delay my last date so i can still get furlough payments or b) re-employ me after and they can then claim furlough for me?
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, i want to know my options before i do
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee P/T 4 days a week, been with the company 13 years
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: International Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, when will get an answer please?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Still waiting for an answer please
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a practicing solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks Vineet, nice to e-meet you. Look forward to your response asap. Thanks Louise
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

You can ask however , you can not force your employer to be on the furlough scheme. The decision is entirely on the employer to pick employees for the furlough, as per the business requirement.

If employer are picking only a few employees to be furloughed, then employer would need to prove the selection process is unbiased and not discriminatory, need to follow due process of selection as with any redundancy process by considering a process of calling for volunteers, pooling and selection.

If the employer fails to do so, the employer can be liable for discriminatory claims.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
On line chat is good with me.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Vineet S replied 15 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks again.