Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am an asylum seeker in Belgium and i want to be guided in

Customer Question

Greetings,
I am an asylum seeker in Belgium and i want to be guided in the following informations..I have an EU partner and we want to get married soon. I want to know if we can get married in Belgium because she doesn't live in Belgium.
If that is not possible, and we happen to marry in my partner's EU country which is Portugal and submit my marriage certificate in Belgium. Can i get a work permit in Belgium or any paper that will allow me to work pending when I get my residence permit if i submit my marriage certificate in Belgium?Thanks
Category: International Law
Expert:  TetyanaP-admin replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.co.uk.
It was brought to our attention that you asked a legal question about Belgium, where we do not have active professionals. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is maybe to provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer.
We realize that option is not ideal, and we always want to provide our customers with the best possible answer. At this time, we'd like to give you the option of leaving your question open. Keep in mind that you're never obliged to accept an answer that you're not satisfied with, and you can try it out before you accept. Or, we can close your question page for you and issue a refund, if you prefer.
Please let me know how you’d like to proceed,
Tetyana-Moderator
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Greetings!!
I write as regards ***** ***** reply to me on my questions about Belgium. Thank you for your honest feedback. I will like to rephrase a section of your reply which said that I should '' leave my question open''. I didn't really understand it clearly there. My question is, am i still expecting an answer, and from where? Is it from the public?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 12 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

I take it you live in Belgium?

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.

Yes you can get married in Belgium with your partner and then you can apply to stay in Belgium as the spouse of an EU citizen and then work in Belgium. I trust this assists

Let me know if you have further queries

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Greetings!
I received your response. Please i will like to know, for the fact that she doesn't live in Belgium but just me living in Belgium as an asylum seeker. Can she come and get married to me in Belgium or are there proceedings to follow before that can be done because i was reading an article some days ago on the internet which said she must live in Belgium for up to 3 months before she can marry in Belgium since she is not a Belgian or a Belgian residence permit holder. Lastly, when the marriage is done in Belgium, while waiting for the residence permit, can i be issued a work permit in Belgium that i can use to work?Thanks for your help
she can come and get married in Belgium. Yes you can get a work permit. Trust this assists
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Good morning sir,
Thanks for your reply. You said she can come and get married in Belgium. But like i said before, as regards ***** ***** article i read on the internet which said that the woman must have lived in Belgium for up to 3 months before the marriage can take place. Please i want to know if this procedure apply?
And lastly, if we wed outside Belgium and i happen to submit my marriage certificate in Belgium, can i still get a work permit in Belgium?Kind Regards
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 10 days ago.
I can’t speak to what you may read on the internet, you can read on the internet Elvis is alive and the Queen of England is a lizard in a skin suit. I have told you my advice you can accept it or not that’s your choice. I have already advised you on your two questions at least twice. Take care
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Greetings,Please i have this last question.. My partner is a Roman***** *****ving in Portugal. As a Romanian, does she have same right to marry in Belgium?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Yes as an EU citizen she can marry anywhere in the EU and indeed, most citizens can marry anywhere in the world provided you follow local procedure. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I and her, we want to start a family here in Belgium. But she said that she don't know if the Belgium government will give me residence permit because she is a Romanian. We are thinking this way because she doesn't work for now and i need a job to support the family

As a spouse of an EU citizen you can work I do not know how I can say it a different way so let me just try and break it down for clarity:

1. Can she come to Belgium? YES

2. Can she get married to you in Belgium? YES

3. If you marry her in Belgium can you work in Belgium? YES

4. Can you have children in Belgium? YES

5. Will you be able to stay in Belgium as her spouse? YES

I trust this assists

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Greetings sir,I want to thank you for your reply. This has made my day. You are the best.Best Regards sir

No problem, happy to help take care