Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Is there a fee to ask a legal question? I am based in the

Customer Question

Hi, is there a fee to ask a legal question?
JA: The answer cost depends on the issue and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit. What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am based in the UK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: It’s relating to debt I owe to credit card companies
Category: International Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi, thank you.
Did you receive my last message about my situation with credit card debt?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I’m going to send my question, so I am able to get a response. I owe 4 credit card companies and 2 personal loans money.
The money I owe 4 credit card companies totals over £36,000? Additionally I owe £22,00 for 2 personal loans.The 4 credit cards were all used to gamble. I signed up toGameStop last year but I kept receiving offers to join other gambling websites that were not registered with GameStop. I am assuming the gambling sites are not based in the UK.I have read that credit card companies cannot let their customers use credit cards to gamble. I think this law came into effect of April 2020. All of the 4 credit card companies knew I was using my cards to gamble.I’m not excusing my poor behavior but I have not been in a good state of mind over the past year due to losing both my parents and being treated for cancer and a brain bleed. I was not in a good state of mind when I decided to run up gambling debts of over £56,000.Do you think I would have any rights in regard to pursuing a legal case against the credit card companies and why are these foreign companies allowed to get away with not registering with GameStop and taking peoples money?Any help you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. I have passed the debt owed to Step Change Charity who have managed to freeze any charges or interest on the accounts and I will begin paying Step Change £450 in June of this year and Step Change will take that amount and share it out between the credit card companies, I owe. I’m not sure where I stand with the 2 personal loans, as I am sure they are not responsible for what I used the money for.
Can you offer your advice please? I just wanted to check with a solicitor, just in case there might be something I can do legally.
Thank you for reading my story and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
You would not have an argument against the credit card companies, the ban does not apply to the card companies but to gambling institutions which are regulated by the gambling commission. Given these are not gamestop registered and foreign entities they would not be regulated by the gambling commission therefore, not subject to the ban. I trust this assists