Nina Caldera
Nina Caldera,
Experience:  dasdasd
116957906

My father-in-law has died in Mauritius and he has three

Customer Question

My father-in-law has died in Mauritius and he has three children, all living in the UK. One has dual Mauritian-UK nationality and the other two are only UK nationals. My father-in-law had Mauritian-UK nationality but was born in Mauritius and had lived in Mauritius for the last 20 years. We are unsure of the inheritance laws for Mauritius and if we go to Mauritius to deal with his affairs what paper work will be needed for both him and his surviving children to ensure the inheritance process goes as smoothly as possible.
Category: International Law
Expert:  Nina Caldera replied 15 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** am specialized in international legal advice and today I am going to help you with your inquiry.

Dear client, your case is a bit complicated. I have to investigate several details before giving you an advice. As soon as I have a clear answer, I will be happy to respond to your query.

In the meantime, if you have any other important information to tell me, it would be very helpful.

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer!

Dear client, normally in these international inheritance cases, the inheritance authority will apply the national law of the country where the deceased last lived, unless the deceased has chosen to have the law of the country of one of their nationalities applied to the inheritance, in which case they can require that everything is dealt with in the UK.

To resolve inheritance issues, heirs must go to the courts of the country where the deceased last lived. However, if the deceased has chosen to have the law of the country of one of their nationalities applied to their inheritance and all the heirs or interested parties have the same nationality, they can agree to take the case to the courts of that country. This agreement must be unanimous.

My recommendation is to engage a lawyer in Mauritius to handle all the inheritance related formalities in the courts there and then apply for the case to be dealt with from the UK as all the heirs are resident there. The location of the assets left by the deceased should also be taken into account, if most of them are in Mauritius, everything should be done through the Mauritian courts.

After contacting the Mauritian lawyer, he/she will advise you on the first stage of the process to be followed in order for the heirs to claim the assets, for which they will have to submit the following information:

- Death certificate

- Will, if there is one.

- Personal documentation of the heirs

- List of the assets and properties that belonged to the deceased.

Dear customer, have I answered your question? If not, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help you. My intention is to offer you the best service.

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer!