Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My question is: Is it really necessary a boarding student

Customer Question

Hi, my question is: Is it really necessary a boarding student who is over 18years to have a guardianship?
JA: Where are you located? Guardianship law varies by location.
Customer: My son studies in an international school in Cobham
JA: Do the biological parents consent to the guardianship?
Customer: we, the biological parents live in Brazil and we think that as our son just completed 18years the Guardianship is no longer necessary
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not really. The “problem” is that the school is obliging us to extend the contract with the Guardian and we think it doesn’t make much sense. First because he is capable to take his decisions e will be judge as an adult in case of any problem and our experience of the period of 2 years paying the guardian as hi was under 18 we found a pretty bad value for money for the guardian “services”
Category: International Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can we the biological parents be his guardian not living in UK. Luca (my son) is a very quite person who normally runs away from trouble, but in case he has one I would like to be the first person to be contacted to understand the situation and take full responsibility to help and guide him to solve the problem. If necessary I’ll take the first flight to UK and contract a lawyer if necessary.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,
Mr. Cestari
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 10 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message I will look to assist
As he is 18 legally he is an adult and not required to have a guardian but the school may refuse to have him at the school without a guardian which they can insist on as part of the contract between you and you cannot be his guardian from Brazil. I trust this assists
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for using JA