Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My partner and I have both been served with process of crime

Customer Question

Hi.my partner and I have both been served with process of crime papers from Greece.this relates to an incident 5 years ago whilst on holiday,I picked up someone else's bag by mistake,we were detained by Greek police and gave statements and were photographed and fingerprinted.the couple who's bag it was did not press charges and w.e were released believing that was the end of the matter.however we are now to be put on trial for theft in September.Obviously I wil need legal representation from a lawyer in Greece for this.My immediate problem is that my partner is due to travel to the Greek Cypriot half of Cyprus in a week's time.she is worried if there is any chance of her being detained at the airport either on arrival or departure. I have done some research online and am aware that Cyprus is Greek only in culture and that there legal system is based on the English one.however we still have concerns.i wonder if you could clarify the situation for her and confirm if it is safe for her to travel.thank you.from.***** *****ey.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: We live in England.My question refers to the legal system in Cyprus and wether it has any connection with the Greek system or is separate.basically I'm asking if my partner arrives in Cyprus and presents her passport is it going to show she is due to appear in court in Greece in September and they would take the opportunity to detain her and hold her on remand until then.I am simply unsure of how much connection there is between Greece and Cyprus.as I say all the research I have done suggests that Cyprus is independent and only Greek in culture but we want to be sure.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: As yet nothing apart from research.As far as the trial in Greece is concerned I will have to find legal representation in that country.However my immediate concern is my partners safety when she travels to Cyprus next week.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.my partner has no previous convictions or criminal record (and is completely innocent as far as the incident in Greece is concerned.
Category: International Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 10 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message I will look to assist
Well if she is going to the Greek Cypriot side then it is as Greek as Athens so yes if there are pending criminal prosecutions in Greece she could be detained. I trust this assists

Thank you for using JA