Adam Hunt
Adam Hunt, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA, FFA, FFTA
105330465

I need to know how to claim for mileage (UK) when I work

Hi, I need to know how to claim for mileage (UK) when I work from home and don’t do many business miles as most client contact is done via email/Skype. I do sometime travel to see clients but not often.Can I still claim mileage? Can I claim a percentage? Thanks Laura

Hi I am one of the experts. Yes you can claim business mileage. Keep a record of such miles. As per current rules, 45% is mileage allowance given for up to 10k miles and then afterwards on miles the rate is 25% per year.

Hope I have answered your question. Please do not forget to rate me before you leave.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Adam, what if the milage is lower than 10K? Working from home I dont drive that much as most of my work is done via the computer.

No worries whatever is the mileage below 10k, just apply 45% rate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay thanks - how do I claim for servicing, repairs, running costs etc please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I dont have all petrol receipts does that matter? I use quickbooks, should I upload the receipts I do have?

If you claim mileage then you can cliam for fuel and car repairs, etc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't afford to call at that rate sorry!

do not call me. I think i have answered your question already in any way.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you be a little more specific about how to work out how to claim for running costs of a car please? Thanks

You have a cholice,

Claim 45% mileage allowance. Keep record.

OR

Claim all of the fuel, repair car related expenses. Keep receipts for this kind of claim.

You cannot claim both

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if my milage is quite low - it might be better to claim for the running costs? I bought my car last year, this is classed as capital gains right? I cant claim for that either then if I claim milage or running costs?

It is your choice mileage or running cost.

Capital gain relates to once you made a gain on selling asset.

Lastly on capital expenditure you can claim capital allowance. Also you can claim other running cost.

Hope answered your question. Please rate me before you leave.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay thanks - if I was to call you, is there a time limit to the call time?

Call should have been a reasonable one.

Please also rate me.