How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Khalid Mehmood Your Own Question
Khalid Mehmood
Khalid Mehmood,
Category: International Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1
Experience:  Expert
Type Your International Tax Question Here...
Khalid Mehmood is online now

UK Tax Query: My husband is resident in the UK and I am

This answer was rated:

UK Tax Query: My husband is resident in the UK and I am resident in France. We own a buy-to-let property in the UK. On the sale of this property, I suppose my husband will pay CGT on his share in the UK, but where shall I pay my share of the CGT?
Thank you for your query. I 'm Khalid, I am UK tax specialist with over 25 years experience and will be providing you the answer to your query. I need little more information before I can reply. Please kindly let me know the following:

1)- When did you buy the property?

2)-Are you intend to sell the property or you have already sold it?

3)- Are you registered for UK self -assessment (i assume your husband is registered for self-assessment in UK)

Kind Regards

Khalid Mehmood CTA, TEP, FCA

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for replying to my query. 1) 2015 2) Intend to sell 3) No, but my husband is
Thank you for your prompt reply. 

You should report and pay any capital gains tax due on UK residential property within 60 days (from the date of completion) of selling the property. You as a non-resident in UK will be labile to pay UK capital gains tax on the 50% shares of the net gains  due to joint ownership. UK HM Customs and Excise has published guidance on this subject, which quite helpful, please see this link Your husband should also follow the same 60 days rules and pay tax and he has an additional requirement that he needs to disclose the disposal on his UK tax return too.

I hope this answers your query and if you need any further information please let me know or if you need any help in calculation of capital gains or filing I am happy to assist all stages from start to finish.

Kind Regards

Khalid Mehmood CTA, TEP, FCA

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much for your reply which is clear and to the point!
Thank you
Khalid Mehmood and 3 other International Tax Specialists are ready to help you