How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nicola-mod Your Own Question
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 39
Experience:  Moderator
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Nicola-mod is online now

A company based in southern Ireland owes me money and I want

Customer Question

A company based in southern Ireland owes me money and I want to take them to court.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. There is no rule of law which provides that one company has to be paid for a job before they can pay someone else. Accordingly,, you should get yourself an Irish solicitor who will represent you and bring proceedings against the company based in Southern Ireland in the Republic of Ireland. Under the intra-EU rules governing jurisdiction, you have to sue a defendant in its home country. So, you should instruct a solicitor in Ireland to sue this company. Given the amount owing, £31k, proceedings will be brought in the Circuit Court in Ireland which is equivalent to the County Court in England. YOu can issue summary proceedings and mark judgment without delay.

Buachaill :

Please RATE the answer positively so that I may get paid

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Thank you,