How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2889
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Can you give advise on the nursing home support scheme in Ireland.

Customer Question

Can you give advise on the nursing home support scheme in Ireland. We have a parent in a nursing home and the other parent has now died leaving his cash assets to one of his sons and his grandchildren. The HSE are implying that the nursing home fee will increase but we think it should be less.There are more details but I would like to know first if you can help. Regards Sonia


I am not sure if this should be under family law.


Also there is a paragraph in the will saying that Mary is to be looked after in the nursing home until she dies and that money is to be available for that.(but the money has not been left to her directly)


All the cash assets are in the name of the parent who died and not the parent in the nursing home.


My take on it now is that her pension and her portion of the house should be taken into account but that the cash assets no longer should be. if she was applying now to go into a home that is all that would be in her name. Am i right in thinking this way.


If you need more information please ask. To get accurate advise you might need more info.



Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You can close this question. I assume you will automatically refund my account if the money was taken. could you please confirm.


Regards Sonia

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello Sonia,

I will process the refund now and you should receive email confirmation as well.

I am sorry we could not find someone to assist, and hope you will give a try again in the future.

Thank you,