How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10984
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Hi,In 2011 my husband asked me to sign a legal document (handed

Customer Question

In 2011 my husband asked me to sign a legal document (handed it to me in our kitchen) explaining that it was to transfer "a bit of our land " into his brothers name as the site maked out for his new house did not include his septic site.I signed it as I had no reason to disbelieve him. 2 years on I find out this morning that the "bit of land" was actually 5 acres .ie the full field. Hi brother has built a house on this land that I in effect signed over under false pretences. What are my rights in this situation? We are in serious financial debt ie€450k approx.My husband will not communicate our full financial position ans keeps money maters a secret from me. I am working to cover €100k of the loans plus provide for our children`s education, food, health insurance, fuel etc.My husband just pays his farm bills.He pays for nothing except oil and esb for house which he tells his accountant is farm expenses.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  ajlaj01 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Please confirm where you are based?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi i am from co meath ireland.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 4 years ago.
1. At the outset, the onus was on you to read what was handed to you in the kitchen by your husband. If you were not happy, then in law you should not have signed it. I regret to say that you cannot challenge what you willingly signed. You will not be able to legally challenge successfully what you signed willingly. No court will absolve you from your own failure to read what you signed. Secondly, you need to realise that a court will not referee money matters within your marriage. YOu can go to court to seek an account from your husband of money matters to see what he is keeping secret. This will set out in statement form what is happening with your husband's affairs. However, what happens in relation to the money is not something the court will get involved with. That is purely a matter between spouses. You can seek a divorce or separation. But a court will not act as referee between you both.