How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10974
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I separated from the father of my two children nearly 5 years

This answer was rated:

I separated from the father of my two children nearly 5 years ago, we were never married. He left me to pay the debts, support our children financially and emotionally and struggle to pay a large mortgage single handed. Recently I had to take redundancy from work as our daughter is being assessed to see if she is autistic and I was unable to keep taking time off work to attend all appointments I needed to. Recently me ex has advised me that I have to somehow get his name off the mortgage or sell the house. I have been trying since we separated to get him removed from the mortgage but the mortgage providers will not oblige. I do not think that we would get enough money to clear the mortgage debt and I was wondering if you can please advise me how to proceed?

Buachaill :

1. MOrtgage provides rarely if ever oblige to take one person's name off a mortgage, as this effectively increases the risk of non payment as there is only one person responsible for the mortgage instead of two. The way around this is for you to get a mortgage in your own name from a different mortgage provider. This means that you must have substantial income to pay off the mortgage. However, as you have been made redundant from work, I am afraid that no mortgage provider will grant you a mortgage in your own name at the moment. You will have to wait until you are working again and have a steady income coming in. The other option is to sell the house and buy a new smaller house from the proceeds of sale, whilst also paying off the mortgage that exists on your current house.

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you