How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10974
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I married my wife who is from Turkey in Jan 13, I am Irish,

This answer was rated:

I married my wife who is from Turkey in Jan 13, I am Irish, we are now looking for a divorce as she wants to go back to live in Turkey. How do we go about getting a divorce

Buachaill :

1. Normally, you would get yourself a solicitor and apply for a divorce. Essentially, you have to be "living apart" for four years before you can get a divorce in Ireland. So there is a considerable wait before you can get a divorce in Ireland. In the meantime, you can apply for an order for judicial separation if you wish which will provide you with all the same relief except the right to remarry. You can do the divorce yourself with online kits providing you with samples of how you do it yourself. However, there are always like to be difficulties if there is some unusual element or legal issue in the divorce. It makes no difference that your wife is from Turkey. However, you should also check out Turkish divorce law as you may be able to get a divorce there sooner than the four years necessary under Irish law. If your wife was resident in Turkey and lawfully sought and obtained a divorce there, then it would be recognised under Irish law. However, you do take your chances in this regard as divorce might involve different outcomes under Turkish law than under Irish law.

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you