How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I was renting a room in a house for the last 3 years from my

This answer was rated:

I was renting a room in a house for the last 3 years from my landlord, she let someone move in without letting me meet them (nor did she meet him) and now two months later he stopped paying rent and she asked him to leave, but when he left he broke into my locked bedroom and stole all my property (laptop, camera, expensive jewelry). Do i have any grounds to claim for the losses from my landlord?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you in the UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i am in ireland

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
Yes the Landlord is negligent and you could certainly issue proceedings for breach of contract.
The Landlord should have responsibility to keep you and your belongings safe and secure. The Landlord failed to do so.
As such you are entitled to issue proceedings for the debt.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, what would be the next step for me to take now?
You need to write and set out your position and ask for a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court. If they do not or refuse then you can issue proceedings.
You will need to get some forms and complete them from the County Court. The Court will issue a claim and a copy will be sent to the other side. If they do not defend it then you can get Judgment and enforce.
If it is defended it will be set down for a hearing and a Judge will decide.
Does that help?
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you