How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10974
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My parents want to transfer the deeds of our house to me -

This answer was rated:

My parents want to transfer the deeds of our house to me - I live with them. My Dad has dementia and my mother wants to do this now, rather than face problems in the future. Can a solictor sort this out for us?
Buachaill :

1. Certainly a solicitor can sort this issue out for you. As you are probably aware, solicitors have a monopoly on conveyancing in Ireland so you will need a solicitor anyway to transfer the title to the house over to you. The solicitor will draw up a Deed of Transfer whereby the house will be transferred to you. Once the transfer is effected, then the house will be yours. Be aware that you have a Gift tax exemption of 250,000 so there will be no tax payable on the transfer to you if the house is valued at less or this value. Above this sum, there will be Capital Acquisitions TAx payable by you, I regret to say.

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you