How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

what recourse hav I to joint mortgage default by other par

Customer Question

what recourse hav I to joint mortgage default by other party
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
If you have Joint and Several Liability for the debt, then I am afraid that is a risk of this type of agreement. If she refuse the bank can pursue you jointly or individually.
Your only options are to:
1. Allow the default;
2. Pay her share yourself - you can then sue her to recover this sum under the Civil Liability (Contribution) Act 1978 - you could do it in the UK and get an equitable charge on her share of the property. If she has other property here you could seek a charge on that.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards