How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2889
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Good afternoon,Please can you help with the following questions:-Can

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
Please can you help with the following questions:-
Can I report threats of physical abuse from partner to Gardai and if so what advantage, if any, would it be for me. (the latest threat during an argument last night being "I'll break your fu----g neck, you fu----g c---t you) I replied that I would be speaking to a Judge to which he replied "I hope he puts a rope around your f-----g neck". These threats go from " If I have to deal with you you'll never rise again to I'll f------g kill you, etc. etc.
A short note to give you an idea of the situation;
phyical abuse, verbal and threathning abuse beginning 2 days after our marriage and has continued for 38 years, Our 2 daughters and myself have asked him to move out of the family home 3 weeks ago, following yet another incident,and they reminding him of his ongoing abuse and having spoken with me earlier advising me yet again, that I could no longer live this way and they would support me. Of course he does not want to move out, but agreed to it on the day with a promise of a home being found for him. As expected, he is now accusing me of putting our daughters up to this and brainwashing them, and again, as has been his ongoing history, backtracking on what he agreed, now saying he is not moving.
We own just the family home with no dependents,
I know I should have reported so many incidents both to gardai (following, a number of times using one of his guns and threathning to shoot me just because I was not being agreeable) I didn't, simply because a member of his family was a garda in the local station, and also didn't go to my GP or A & E with bruising, I just covered everything up,
even from my family.
Is there anything i can do now, i.e.
1. Do threats like this warrant a barring order.
2. If so,would the barring order be just for a short term and then he would be free to
move back in again.
3. Does his history of abuse, and/or a possible barring order, in any way, make it possible
for me to keep the family home or if no ammicable agreement can be reached
between us, and we end up having to go the legal route, what would the likely
outcome be, ie; would the family home have to be sold and devided.
4. Is there any point at this stage in time, reporting previous abuses either to gardai or
My apologies for being longwinded on this but I just dont know what to do. If I had the money I would obviously just give it to him to get out but I've had a number of ops on my back and I'm on sick benefit and unfortunately will be.
Many Thanks,
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.
Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Nicola,

At this stae it does not appear that you are able to assist me with my query so therefore I wish to cancel my enquiry and request a refund of my payment, Many thanks,