How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10949
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

There , i gave birth to my son in America but his dad is

Customer Question

HI there , i gave birth to my son in America but his dad is Irish and resides in ireland. we are not married and have never lived together .i am enquiring to what entitlements i can get from the father of my child?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there I am an American citizen and my child was born in the USA and has American citizenship but the father is Irish and will not pay anything towards the upkeep of his child .. Can I force through the American courts or the Irish courts to pay maintenance
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. Hello, you can certainly gain a maintenance order from an Irish court if this Irish citizen father is living in Ireland. This will be at the rate of 14% of the father's net after tax income. Accordingly, if the father was earning 90,000 euros before tax and 60,000 after tax, then the father would be obligated to pay 8,400 euros per annum or 700 euros per month in maintenance payments in respect of his child. In your question, you don't say where the father is living, but the situation is the same if the father is living anywhere in the EU. So you can make an application for maintenance in an Irish court. GEt a solicitor to help you. Be aware that the maintenance order will last until the child is 18 or until the child finishes university. The wages of the father can be attached to pay the maintenance. It makes no difference that the child might have been born in America or might live there the rules still apply. Be aware additionally that your child is entitled to Irish citizenship because he has an Irish father.