How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10972
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have a house sitter that used to pay a nominal rent but doesn't

This answer was rated:

I have a house sitter that used to pay a nominal rent but doesn't anymore due to going back to college - can she establish squatter's rights if she stays long term?
1. Your housesitter would have to be in occupation for in excess of 12 years and to have barred you and anyone she didn't want from accessing the house for that 12 year period in order to maintain a claim for squatter's rights. So until such times as the house sitter starts barring you or your agent from your own house, you have nothing to worry about. So there is little possibility of that happening without you knowing about it.
Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you