How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10951
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I have received an inheritance from my uncle who died recently,

Customer Question

I have received an inheritance from my uncle who died recently, the estate solicitors of my uncle have requested that i fill out a pior gift certificate stating what gifts or inheritances i have received from my parents or any other source i.e uncle/ aunt/non relative. Is it nessary to tell them what gifts i have received from my parents as this is threshold A and my uncles inheritances is threshold B. My uncles estate solicitor says its for the Form CA24
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My uncles was resident in Ireland as am i.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.
1. I regret to say that it is necessary to include all gifts received under all of Categories A, B & C of Capital Acquisitions Tax. The Revenue keep data on all beneficiaries so that they may tabulate how much of each threshold has been received by all persons in the State. It is part of the information gathering which the Revenue engage in. It is done here because each category has a lifetime exemption. So if you subsequently receive some gift or inheritance, the Revenue will quietly remind you of your previous gifts or inheritances. This has become a particular issue after some of the Tribunals because there were people receiving gifts as loans and avoiding tax.