Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Can I refuse my wifes boyfriend access to the family home

Customer Question

can I refuse my wifes boyfriend access to the family home that my wife and son and myself are living in recently I have found them in the house and he has stayed over without me knowing with my son 7 yrs there.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: my wife and I are attending mediation and intend to seperate
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. In law, if your house is owned by you or jointly owned by yourself and your wife, then you may refuse your wife's boyfriend access to the house. This is because in law, an owner of a property can refuse non-owners access to the property. However, I would suggest that before you start attempting to refuse your wife's boyfriend access to the house, that you raise this issue in the mediation sessions with your wife so the issue can be thrashed out as a row is likely to develop if you simply start refusing access. Be aware that the upshot will be that you will not be able to bring a partner into the house should you seek to refuse to allow your wife to bring her boyfriend into the house. So, consider how you would like to live into the future. There is also the issue that one of you - yourself or your wife - will have to seek alternative accommodation if you split up.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.