How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10954
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

His mother got tax cedits or (child benefit) in Scotland

Customer Question

His mother got tax cedits or (child benefit) in Scotland till she became a full time student last year.
I applied for them and got turned down on the grounds that I was not his legal guardian
I had confirmation of his school attendance and his birth cert.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 months ago.

1. In these circumstances, you will have to get some documentation which shows you are your grandson's legal guardian. Be aware that if you cannot get any documentation, you can always make an application to the District Court in Ireland to be declared the legal guardian of your grandson. However, a Deed of Guardianship executed by the mother would normally be sufficient. It can be done by yourself and simply state that the mother hereby gives guardianship of her child to the grandparent. Be aware that under Irish law the mother is the person who normally holds guardianship rights but these can be given to someone else.