How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 11147
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am currently looking for a job and i found out my previous

This answer was rated:

i am currently looking for a job and i found out my previous employer is giving me a bad verbal reference, when companies are calling.He had already given me a written reference which was short but ok.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is this legal and what can i do about it , i was given the information from an agency,they informed me last friday that my employer would not recommend me as a contract manager although i have been working in this position for 20 tears with different companies.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Dear Mark, you can sue for negligence if the verbal reference being given is not borne out by the facts and is driven by some ulterior motive. However, be aware that these actions are difficult to win, as employers are given a wide latitude in the opinion they can hold as regards ***** ***** So, you need to be able to pin down where the reference is incorrect.

2. The second limb of any strategy to deal with this situation is to simply not give the name of this employer in any CV. An employer is not obliged to give any reference so the institution of legal proceedings usually results in the employer refusing to provide any reference at all.

3. However, it is in your favour that the employer is changing what they say when asked verbally. This shows an element of bad faith in that the employer is misleading when verbally asked as compared with the written reference they have provided.

4. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Buachaill and 2 other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
would I be best to contact him direct or get a solicitor to write a letter regarding the bad reference

5. I would advise you get a solicitor to formally write to him regarding the bad verbal reference. However, if you believe he would listen to you, then you could speak with him yourself. However, this is only something you can judge.