How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 11048
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I was wondering who I should talk to if I wanted to offer

This answer was rated:

Hi there- I was wondering who I should talk to if I wanted to offer equity to an employee when founding a company?

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Dear Morgan, you should speak with a solicitor or an accountant about the giving of equity to an employee. Essentially, giving equity in a company is a simple matter of assigning shares to a person from the outset. However, where you will need advice is upon the surrounding relationship and the terms upon which you are giving the equity. For example, you might vest the equity over a period of years, contingent upon the employee remaining in the company whilst it is growing as otherwise the employee might leave with the shares without there ever being any benefit for the company. Additionally, you might want to restrict this employee from setting up their own business in competition to your company's business for a period after they leave employment.

2. Some form of shareholder's agreement might be wise as you are essentially taking the employee into your company as a psuedo-partner to help with the growth of the business. You might also consider whether the employee might invest capital or purely work in the business.

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you