How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 11077
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

If I sell a house in Ireland but I live in England do I pay

This answer was rated:

If I sell a house in Ireland but I live in England do I pay tax

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. Dear Martin, for a house to be exempt from Capital gains Tax in Ireland upon sale, it must be a person's principal private residence.

2. This means you must live in it as your main residence. If you live in England, then your Irish house is not your main residence.

3. So, that means that your house in Ireland is subject to Capital Gains Tax upon sale, if you live in England.

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you