Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience

My wife and I are separated for the last 4 years on good

Customer Question

My wife and I are separated for the last 4 years on good terms, how do we get a legal separation and how much will it cost
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 30 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 30 days ago.

1. If you have been living apart for four years, then you should get a divorce and not merely a legal separation as a divorce is a better form of relief as it gives the right to re-marry, something which a legal Separation does not give. The cost associated with a divorce varies enormously, so you should shop around to see how much an individual solicitor will charge. However, you can expect to pay 5,000 euros for one, to include the drafting of an Agreement which you can put before the court which deals with all issues, such as property and maintenance between you. This will give you a clean break from one another.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 30 days ago.

2. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.