Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

Does the provisions of the National Vetting Bureau (Children

Does the provisions of the National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons ) Acts 2012- 2016 apply to Mens Sheds, which are a voluntary social organisation

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The National Vetting Bureau (Children & Vulnerable Person) Acts 2012 - 2016 apply to the Men´s Sheds. It makes no difference that it is a voluntary social organisation. The same vetting procedures would apply if it involves contact with potentially vulnerable people. However, in the normal Men´s Shed group, they aren´t vulnerable people within the meaning of the act. There would have to be someone who has mental problems or is at the risk of undue influence. So, an assessment of the membership is also necessary to see if a particular Men´s Shed requires vetting. Most won´t require vetting unless there are vulnerable people there. Most Men´s Sheds are adult men who are of sound mind and self aware.

2. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.