Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My partners is from the uk, we have been together for 5

hi there, I'm Australian and my partners is from the uk, we have been together for 5 years and co-habiting in Ireland for 1 year. We're looking to apply for a defacto visa in Ireland. do we have a strong enough case ?

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The first thing you need to realise is that you, as an Australian partner of a UK citizen, have the right to both live and work in Ireland under a family visa as you have been in a settled relationship of more than two years. If you don´t have a permanent visa, you should apply for one with the Irish Immigration and Naturalisation Service at www.inis.gov.ie. Be aware that after four years living in Ireland on this family visa you will be able to apply for Irish citizenship. So, not only is this a pathway to what you call a defacto visa, but it is also a pathway to citizenship of Ireland.

2. Here is the page you need on the INIS website as it deals with EU Treaty Rights. You should use Form EU1A at the bottom of the page.http://inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU+Treaty+Rights. Be aware that it is Eu law that all non-EEA partners (such as an Australian) living in a de facto relationship with an EU citizen (such as a UK citizen) qualify for a visa to live and work in Ireland. Be aware that after five years, you can then apply for Permanent Residence using another form on this page.

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.