How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 11379
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

My partners is from the uk, we have been together for 5

This answer was rated:

hi there, I'm Australian and my partners is from the uk, we have been together for 5 years and co-habiting in Ireland for 1 year. We're looking to apply for a defacto visa in Ireland. do we have a strong enough case ?

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The first thing you need to realise is that you, as an Australian partner of a UK citizen, have the right to both live and work in Ireland under a family visa as you have been in a settled relationship of more than two years. If you don´t have a permanent visa, you should apply for one with the Irish Immigration and Naturalisation Service at Be aware that after four years living in Ireland on this family visa you will be able to apply for Irish citizenship. So, not only is this a pathway to what you call a defacto visa, but it is also a pathway to citizenship of Ireland.

2. Here is the page you need on the INIS website as it deals with EU Treaty Rights. You should use Form EU1A at the bottom of the page. Be aware that it is Eu law that all non-EEA partners (such as an Australian) living in a de facto relationship with an EU citizen (such as a UK citizen) qualify for a visa to live and work in Ireland. Be aware that after five years, you can then apply for Permanent Residence using another form on this page.

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.