How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Helen Hill Your Own Question
Helen Hill
Helen Hill,
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 534
Experience:  Director at The Planning Crowd
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Helen Hill is online now

My husband and I are going for a divorce. He is doing the

This answer was rated:

My husband and I are going for a divorce. He is doing the application and has been in contact to say he has the papers to give to me. I asked for him to post them however he said he was advised by his solicitor to give them to me in person. My question is, is there any particular reason for this or any potential pitfalls in meeting in person to receive them?

Thank you for your question. A copy of the family law civil bill, affidavits of means and welfare (as appropriate) are served by the applicant on the respondent in one of the ways allowed by the court rules, that is by registered prepaid post, by personal service or in such other way as the court or county registrar allows

I anticipate that he wishes to hand the papers to you in person so that they have been officially 'served'. Handing them to you in person guarantees that you have received them. Divorce papers normally have to be hand delivered in this way so it is quite normal. You will probably be asked to sign a receipt to show that you have received the papers.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards, Helen

Helen Hill and 2 other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your kind rating. It really is appreciated.